Assignment 1: Discussion—Applying Balanced Scorecard
In many cases, managers end up in trouble as they direct their focus exclusively on cost savings. Cost cutting is always emphasized, but other impacts, such as decreased quality, can be overlooked. These overlooked impacts can have a significant effect on the revenue and profitability of an organization. The balanced scorecard is a measure to assure that management is not exclusively driven by cost, but balanced with other measures that also can significantly influence the performance of an organization.
Using the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources, research balanced scorecard and its application.
Select a service industry organization of your choice. Complete the following for the selected organization:
- Recommend at least two performance measures in each of the balanced scorecard categories.
- Explain each of your recommendations.
- Using these measures as examples, explain how use of the balanced scorecard can increase the economic value added within the organization.
By the due date assigned, post your response to the Discussion Area. Throughthe end of the module, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40