Assignment 1: Employee and Labor Relations Briefing
Due Week 3 and worth 240 points
You have been tasked to prepare a future report for the management team that discusses key HR elements that help to better understand the importance of effective employee and labor relations. The elements consist of organizational climate, recruitment, selection and training, and compensation, which all happen to be topics for the remaining assignments for this course. You must meet with the management team for a 1-hour meeting to provide an overview of what the future report will contain.
Prepare a twelve to fifteen (12-15) slide presentation in which you:
- Include cover, agenda, conclusion, and reference list slides, all of which may count toward total slide count.
- Provide a short overview of the 3 basic assumptions underlying US labor relations.
- Provide information with a minimum of three bullet points on Walmart’s internal climate. Hint: http://panmore.com/walmart-organizational-structure-organizational-culture
- Provide information with a minimum of four (4) bullet points regarding the importance of recruitment, selection, and training to effective employee relations.
- Provide information with a minimum of three (3) bullet points on the relationship between compensation and labor relations. Hint: https://www.workerscompensation.com/news_read.php?id=11363
- Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: You may only use the resources listed in the course syllabus and those that are specifically provided by the instructor.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Select any one of three professional PowerPoint templates provided by the instructor (Required).
- Have headings for each section with all bulleted information aligned properly and using the same font and size. Images may be used but must be professional and relevant to the topic. The source(s) of all images must be credited with both citation and reference. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include citations and references for all information received from other sources.
- All bullet point information must be descriptive and have a minimum of 2-3 full sentences.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the relationship between management and unions.
- Create a strategic plan to organize a union for a specific labor force.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in employee and labor relations.
- Write clearly and concisely about employee and labor relations using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.