Assignment 1: Working with Participants
The purpose of this assignment is to help students recognize best practices in working with human subjects and the role of the institutional review board. You are expected to review a pinnacle case in the area of human subjects, the Tuskegee experiment. On the basis of what you learn about this experiment, you will discuss the importance of human subjects review boards and how things would be different if the research team needed approval to conduct this study.
In your paper, you must:
- Summarize the Tuskegee experiment.
- Explain the risks to participants.
- Discuss the current research protocols that were violated.
- Address any concerns contemporary institutional review boards would have if the research team applied for approval.
- Use at least three scholarly citations and cite the sources in the body of your work as per APA standards.
- Prepare a reference list.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).
300 WORDS OR MORE
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40