Assignment 2: Block Business Letter
Due Week 4 and worth 150 points
Steps to Complete Assignment Two:
1) Consider a professional scenario you have addressed in previous professional settings or are currently dealing with at work or choose one of the professional scenarios provided in Blackboard under the Week 4 tab.
2) Write a Block Business Letter from the perspective of company management. It must provide bad news to the recipient and follow the guidelines outlined in Chapter 7: Delivering Bad-News Messages in BCOM7 (pages 110-128).
3) In addition to your block email you will use the insert comment box function in Word to add at least 5 comments to your letter that explains why you made the choices you did in your email. For example, you might have a comment box that briefly (1-3 sentences) explains why you chose to use a friendly greeting to an employee who had a broken a rule. If you still have questions about the reflection, do not worry! I will give more examples and provide a sample before this project is due!
* The message should take the block business letter form from the posted example; however, you will submit your assignment to the online course shell.
The block business letter must adhere to the following requirements:
- Address the communication issue from the scenario.
- Provide bad news from the company to the recipient.
- Concentrate on the facts of the situation and use either the inductive or deductive approach.
- Assume your recipient has previously requested a review of the situation via email, letter, or personal meeting with management.
- After completing your email, add at least 5 comment boxes where you reflect on specific choices you made in your letter.
- Include the proper introductory elements (sender’s address, date, recipient’s address). You may create any details necessary in the introductory elements to complete the assignment.
- Provide an appropriate and professional greeting / salutation.
- Single space paragraphs and double space between paragraphs.
- Limit the letter to one page in length.
- Clarity / Mechanics:
- Focus on clarity, writing mechanics, and professional language/style requirements.
- Run spell/grammar check before submitting.
Your assignment must:
- Be typed, single-spaced within paragraphs/elements and double spaced between the paragraphs/elements, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Your professor may provide additional instructions.
Submitting your assignment:
- Submit your assignment through the online course shell only.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Plan, create, and evaluate professional documents.
- Write clearly, coherently, and persuasively using proper grammar, mechanics, and formatting appropriate to the situation.
- Deliver professional information to various audiences using appropriate tone, style, and format.
- Analyze professional communication examples to assist in revision.