Assignment 7: Chpt. 13, 14, 15Instructions
This assignment covers three chapters (30 points).
1. Discuss the meaning of the NIMBY syndrome.
2. What does NIMBY mean? Discuss it as it applies to wind power in the video. Apply the NIMBY principle to a specific controversy in your neighborhood, town, district.
3. What does the Constitution say about government taking property from citizens?
1. Distinguish between progressive, regressive and proportional taxes. Give an example of each.
2. What is the primary source of revenue for the following levels of government?
3. Of the explanations for tax revolts discussed in the book, which one is the most convincing or persuasive? Least convincing or persuasive?
After reading chapter 15 and watching the video, answer the following questions.
1. Discuss the “separate but equal doctrine.” How did the Supreme Court interpret the doctrine in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) and Brown v. Board of Education (1954)?
2. Discuss Affirmative Action. What is the purpose? Should it apply to blacks and Hispanics? How about other minorities?
3. Discuss the significance of Roe v. Wade (1973)