Assignment: Role of Change Theory in Social Change
An understanding of change theory is critical to the success of human and social services professionals. A classic model of change theory consists of three phases: (a) unfreezing, (b) movement, and (c) refreezing (Lewin, 1951). Another model describes the differences between first- and second-order change and how first-order change may continue to perpetuate the very problems human services professionals seek to remedy (Watzlawick, Weakland, & Fisch, 1974). Developmental theory and systems theory may also be relevant to implementing change in human and social services related agencies and organizations.
As you develop your Capstone Project strategic plan, think about the element of change and how change might affect the change processes that will be associated with the agency, organization, or community for your strategic plan. Think of principles from relevant change theories and how you can implement those procedures to manage the individual and organizational change that may come about as a result of the strategic plan. Along with change theory and processes, you also should consider codes of ethics to guide you in addressing these issues.
Lewin, K. (1951). Field theory in social science. New York, NY: Harper.
Watzlawick, P., Weakland, J. H., & Fisch, R. (1974). Change: Principles of problem formation and problem resolution. Oxford, England: W.W. Norton.
- Select a change theory and the related change processes (e.g., force-field analysis, developmental theory, systems theory) that you might apply to address the issues related to the strategic plan for the agency, organization, or community you selected in Week 1 Discussion 2.
- In addition, consider the ethical challenges that you might encounter and codes of ethics you might apply to address these challenges.
By Day 7
The Assignment (2–3 pages):
- Briefly describe the issues you anticipate encountering in your strategic plan.
- Explain the change you think is needed to address these issues and factors that might influence that change.
- Describe a change theory and related change processes that may be applied to the issues related to your strategic plan.
- Explain how you might apply the theory and processes.
- Briefly explain two ethical principles, issues, or challenges that might arise in your efforts to apply these changes.
- Explain how a professional code of ethics might advise in each case. Be specific, citing elements from an applicable code of ethics.
- Explain the opportunities and challenges that you might encounter in fostering and implementing the change.
Support your Application Assignment, citing all resources in APA style, including those in the Learning Resources.