Early Language Development
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review Chapter 5 of your text. This will be a group work discussion in two parts: 1) a group proposal, and 2) a proposal review response based on your review of the group proposals. You will need to complete both parts to get full points for the forum.
Part I: Group Plan Proposal
You are working as a teacher in a community with a high population of 3-year old to 5-year old children that have been identified as English Language Learners. The local school board is awarding an early learning language grant to a program that submits a comprehensive plan that provides engagement and support for this population of students. The principal of your school has tasked groups of teachers in your school to create foundational plan proposals that can be further developed for consideration by the school board. Within your group, you will develop a proposal that includes the fundamentals of the plan. Each member of your group will complete one of the three required sections: Learning Center Type and Rationale, Materials and Activities, and Approach and Summary. (Each section should be 250-300 words.)
Learning Center Type and Rationale
- Identify the type of learning center that would be most supportive of, and promote language development, of English Language Learners in the classroom.
- Explain the learning objective of this type of learning center and provide a rationale as to why it is the best choice for providing support to this age group of English Language Learners.
Materials and Activities
- Identify the specific areas of language that the selected learning center will target.
- Describe a minimum of two activities the planned learning center will offer to support this age group of English Language Learners, including step-by-step instructions for each.
- Create a list of materials that would be needed to support the described activities.
Summary and Community Approach
- Summarize the methods for the learning center will use to assess student development.
- Explain the general approach that will be used to introduce this learning center to the community.
- Describe a minimum of two outreach activities that could be planned to create greater awareness of the learning center in the community.