Write an argument to persuade the reader to agree with a certain point of view. You must choose an arguable/controversial issue. Here are some possibilities:
–Should doctors be allowed to help terminally-ill patients commit suicide?
–Should all nuclear weapons be destroyed?
–Does the threat of terrorism justify government infringement on the right of privacy?
–Should prisoners receive a free college education behind bars?
Write on some topic you feel strongly about. Study all sides of the issue so you can argue effectively. Support your argument with evidence (facts like statistics, examples you know about, inferences, expert opinion, and personal testimony).
The paper must be a minimum of EIGHT COMPLETE pages. It must have at least SIX sources, and it must be properly referenced (a final Works Cited page) and formatted in the MLA style.
Basic Essay Structure:
–An introduction: introduce/explain the issue and assert your thesis.
–Body paragraphs: counterclaims, refutations, claims, evidence
–Conclusion: summarize your best points & restate your position
Please follow these MLA guidelines:
- Double-space your papers
- Use black ink and a 12-point font in Arial or Times Roman
- Use a one-inch margin at the top, bottom, and sides of each page
- In the upper left corner of the first page, type your name, my name, course number and section, and date
- Provide page numbers in the upper-right corner of each page
- Center your title and do not change the font