Assigned Region: Oceania
the investigation of your region you should choose at least 5 of the major topics/issues from below:
- Population issues, i.e. dependency ratio, sex ratio
- Immigrants and/or ethnic groups
- Political insurrection, breakaway government, change of government, coup d’etat, Statelessness
- Environmental and/or ecological issues and relationship to folk/pop culture
- Agricultural policies
- Economic issues/trade/development
- Foreign Investment, global division of labor, commodity change, Rostow, Wallerstein, various “indicators” of development
The Essay should present the various topics/issues in substantial detail:
- what each topic/problem/issue is
- how it has manifested itself in your region
- What are the core & periphery states/areas of your region
- who the integral people are (political leaders; corporations)
- the government agencies, NGOs, and/or regional organizations that have responded to the issues, etc.
- Handouts, props, etc. are encouraged. Food is always an option, though will not earn you a higher grade.
- In your presentation you should utilize at least 3 maps that illustrate and support your topic or findings.
- The maps must be thoroughly explained as part of your presentation.
- In addition, a short discussion of the general physical geography of your country should be done so that the class has a brief idea of what the climate, landscape, and people are like there.
Your research will conclude with a final product of a research paper at least 1400 words in length which summarizes your findings. Think of this as a briefing report that you are handing to the President who needs to be informed of all aspects of this region before travelling there for an official state visit.