Identifying Areas for Growth
Self-assessment can be revealing, encouraging, daunting, and, at best, inspiring. The important thing is to keep in mind that everyone feels the same way. The key is to use the results to help you grow. Again, engaging in meaningful discussions with colleagues can provide support. This week, you will use the Discussion to share what you have learned from the three self-assessments in this week’s Learning Resources: 1) the Habits of Mind Survey, 2) the Assessment of Professional Development, and 3) the Seventeen Competencies for Becoming a Professional: A Professional Development Checklist.
To prepare for this Discussion, review the results of each of the assessments.
By Day 3:
Post a response to the following:
- Describe three areas in which you have grown to excel in by completing your coursework in this program.
- Identify three areas in which you need to grow, based on your self-assessments, in order to be more effective in your work as an early childhood professional.
- Describe how you will help yourself grow in these areas.
Complete the following self-assessments before you participate in this week’s Discussion. (Note: You completed the second and third assessment in EDUC 3101: Professionalism and Advocacy in the Early Childhood Field. Since then, you have taken all of the courses in your specialization and grown both personally and professionally. Reflect on this growth as you complete these again.)
- Habits of Mind Self-Assessment
Retrieved from http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Gq%2FkE9Cosx5ADe1kGb8wMyZD9zARV2tuDf0B3qvVxWw%3D
- Assessing Your Professional Development
From: Morrison, G. S. (2007). Early childhood education today (10th ed., p. 19). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.
Copyright © 2007 by Pearson Education. Reproduced by permission of the publisher. Further reproduction is prohibited without written permission of the publisher.
- Seventeen Competencies for Becoming a Professional: A Professional Development Checklist
From: Morrison, G.S. (2009). Early childhood education today (11th ed., p. 26). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.
Adapted from Morrison, G. S. (2008). Fundamentals of early childhood education (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.