For our discussion, this week, choose one of the position statements listed below and research and defend your position. Be sure to cite your sources. We will discuss position statements during the class discussion.
I WOULD LIKE MY DISCUSSION TO BE CENTERED AROUND #5. 350 WORD MINIMUM AND APA FORMAT
- Individual states should have the right to pass their own immigration laws based on what is best for their citizens.
- Congress should consider changing the 14th Amendment to deny children born in the U.S. automatic citizenship if a parent is an illegal immigrant in the U.S.
- The answer to the illegal immigrant problem in the U.S. is to tighten border security (increased border patrol and fence) and make a concerted effort to find and deport all illegal immigrants.
- Illegal immigrants should be provided a path to citizenship. Pay fines, learn English, obey the laws, and wait your turn to be considered for citizenship.
- Undocumented immigrants actually contribute positively to our economy as workers, taxpayers, and consumers.
- Illegal immigrants put a tremendous strain on social services like education, health care, and welfare.
- The U.S. should expand its foreign aid programs and trade benefits for developing countries. This will reduce the number of immigrants who want to leave their countries and come to the U.S.
- The U.S. must deny education, health care, and other social services to illegal immigrants, except in cases of emergency.
- Employers should be able to hire whom they want. They should not be required to make employees prove they are here legally.
- The U.S. should increase the number of visas given to highly skilled workers, including foreign graduates with advanced degrees. They should have the preference for coming to the U.S.