Phenomenological Research Methods
The quest to understand the lived experience and the philosophical structures of experience and consciousness is the focus of a movement that began in the early years of the 20th Century. The movement is called phenomenology because the movement explores the lived experience of phenomena. Edmund Husserl and Martin Heidegger were two of the prominent philosophers who developed this method of inquiry though each took a significantly different philosophical approach to understanding human experience. In this assignment, you will discuss the psychology research methods that emerged from the philosophies of Husserl and Heidegger and the researchers who developed those methods.
- This assignment requires that at least two scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
Write a paper (250 words) in which you discuss both the phenomenological research methods in psychology that emerged from the philosophies of Husserl and the theorists/psychologists who developed those methods.
- A discussion of at least two phenomenological research methods that emerged from the phenomenological philosophy of Husserl. What were the central tenets of each method? What is known about the theorists/psychologists who developed each method?
1. The Handbook of Humanistic Psychology: Theory, Research, and Practice
Read Chapters 19 and 20.
Flipp, C. (2014, February 12). Phenomenology [Video].
2. Qualitative Analysis of Interview Data: A Step-By-Step Guide
Lofgren, K. (2013, May 19). Qualitative analysis of interview data: A step-by-step guide [Video].
1. A Phenomenological Research Design Illustrated
Groenewald, T. (2004). A phenomenological research design illustrated. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 3(1), 1-26.
2. The Interview: Data Collection in Descriptive Phenomenological Human Scientific Research
Englander, M. (2012). The interview: Data collection in descriptive phenomenological human scientific research. Journal of Phenomenological Psychology, 43(1), 13–35.
1. Interview Data
Use this raw data to complete the “Applying Phenomenology” assignment.
PSY-804-RS-Interview Data.docx ATTACHED