Week 4 – Assignment
Leadership and Management
Early childhood administrators need to be well-versed in standards set by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). Having comprehensive knowledge of these standards will help to ensure a quality early childhood program. Review the article, “Overview of the NAEYC Early Childhood Program Standards” with particular attention to Standard 10: Leadership and Management.
Excellent programming requires effective governance structures, competent and knowledgeable leadership, as well as comprehensive and well-functioning administrative policies, procedures, and systems. Effective leadership and management create the environment for high-quality care and education by:
- Ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and guidelines
- Promoting fiscal soundness, program accountability, effective communication, helpful consultative services, positive community relations, and comfortable and supportive workplaces.
- Maintaining stable staff; and
- Instituting ongoing program planning and career development opportunities for staff as well as continuous program improvement.
You are the director of your own childcare center. Using Standard #10 in “Overview of the NAEYC Early Childhood Program Standards” as a guide, create an eight- to ten-slide PowerPoint presentation to share with your staff, demonstrating the following NAEYC points:
- Effective communication
- Explain how you will effectively communicate with your staff.
- Comfortable and supportive workplaces
- Describe how you will create a comfortable and supportive workplace for your staff.
- Career development opportunities for staff
- Discuss how you will create professional development opportunities for your staff.
- Hiring and retention
- Explain how you will attract and retain quality staff members.
Your eight- to ten-slide PowerPoint presentation (in addition to your title and reference slides) should:
- Creatively address the material including graphics, visuals, charts, graphs, and/or sound;
- Be designed to clearly and concisely address the material;
- Be formatted according to APA style, including the title slide, reference slide, and in-text citations;
- Utilize the notes section of the PowerPoint to expand on the presented points. These notes would be your talking points when presenting this to your staff; and
- Use at least one scholarly source in addition to the course text.
Submit your assignment as an attachment in the Week 4 Assignment section. In addition, look ahead to Week 5, Discussion 1, “Presentation Evaluations.” By Day 1 of Week 5, you will need to post your PowerPoint presentation as an attachment to your initial discussion post.
Review this PowerPoint example for ideas on how to set up your project.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.