Essay III. Prompt:
Below is a list of strategies commonly used by activists who participated in the social movements of the 1960s. Choose 2 strategies from the list below and discuss how one movement used those strategies to affect change. For guidance, please be sure to read Chapter 27 and Chapter 28. Your paper should be 3 pages double spaced with 12 point font Times New Roman.
- Legal Strategies
- Nonviolent Direct Action (Includes Sit Ins; Bus boycotts and Freedom Rides; Desegregating lunch counters)
- Legislating Civil Rights (
- Self Determination (Includes Black Nationalism/ Black Power; The Young Lords; The Chicano Movement; AIM; Raising Feminist Consciousness; Gay and Lesbian Movement)
Make sure that you discuss the extent to which these strategies were successful. Your essay should include specific examples to support your points and use the names of key figures, organizations, laws, legislative acts, and marches when you refer to them.
Criteria: An “A” essay will:
- Devote adequate attention to each of the two strategies discussed.
- Stay focused on one specific movement (women’s rights, gay rights, black civil rights, etc.)
- Include references to key figures, organizations, and laws etc. and refer to them correctly by name.
- Demonstrate that the student understands the strategy being discussed (and how it was different from similar strategies).
- Include specific examples of how these strategies were used.
- Discuss the extent to which these strategies were or were not successful.
- Show evidence proofreading
- Have effective organization
Please note that papers that show signs of plagiarism will receive a 0.