In this course we have been learning about the different eras of policing from the inception of the first police force in 1829 to the current era of policing today. Based on the current climate, there is a level of distrust today between the police and the public. Riots, marches, and protests in response to high-profile police shootings have eroded the relationships that were built through community policing. With the hopes of improving police efficiency and finding new approaches to working together with the public, the country is again ready for a new era of policing.
Use the Internet and your textbook to research the different eras of policing up until today. Based on the role and function of police officers changing over the years, address the questions below relative to the current state of policing and where we are headed in the future. As an optional component of this assignment for extra credit, you may also interview a law enforcement professional to get his/her explanation on this topic.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Examine at least (2) of the eras of policing and discuss their main strengths and weaknesses.
- Examine at least two (2) issues facing law enforcement today and explain the impact both of these issues have on social order.
- Take a position on where law enforcement is headed in the next five (5) years. Discuss what you believe the future of policing looks like, and the main challenges you think law enforcement will face.
- Describe the role of the public in cooperation with the police, as you see it, in the near future in order to improve the relationship between these groups and to optimally work together in facing the future challenges you identified.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.