Religious and Ethnic Groups Paper Instructions
Select one religious group and one ethnic/racial group to which you do not belong from the following list:
· Religious groups
· Evangelical Protestant
· Mainline Protestant
· Historically Black Churches
· Roman Catholic
· Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)
· Jehovah’s Witnesses
· Orthodox (Greek, Eastern)
o Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, or Reform)
o Buddhism (Theravada or Mahayana)
o Islam (Sunni, Shia, Sufism)
Note: Religious group list based on information from the Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study found at
· Ethnic groups (found in Ch. 5, 11, and 14 of Racial and Ethnic Groups)
Write a 450 word paper in which you address the following questions regarding the religious group and ethnic group you selected:
· How does your selected religious group differ from other religious groups (in beliefs, worship practices, or values)?
· How has your selected religious group contributed to American culture? Provide at least one example.
· What is an example of prejudice or discrimination your selected religious group has experienced? What was the source of this prejudice or discrimination?
· How has your perception of this religious group changed as a result of your exploration? Provide a brief summary.
· How does your selected ethnic group differ from other ethnic groups (differences in ancestry, language, or culture)?
· How has your selected ethnic group contributed to American culture? Provide at least one example.
· What is an example of prejudice or discrimination your selected ethnic group has experienced? What was the source of this prejudice or discrimination?