Review the Case Opener at the beginning of Chapter 8: Technology Companies at War, as well as this article on a Supreme Court decision in the Samsung/Apple Patent Litigation.
Samsung and Apple continue to fight to protect their rights to their intellectual property, just as any company fights to protect the real, personal, and intellectual property on which its business, revenues, and reputation are based. These same property issues are at stake in the pharmaceutical and biomedical industries where patents on medicines, medical devices, cutting-edge genomic therapies, etc. form much of a company’s livelihood.
For this discussion board, respond to the 3 questions in the Business Ethics Flashpoint 8.1 in your text. Your response must explain how you balance the interests at stake, including:
- How should a for-profit corporation balance its business needs with the needs of its customers?
- Lives depend on products created by some companies. Do these companies have a greater responsibility to work to benefit the consumer more than themselves?
- Look at the issue from a Biblical worldview. How would you respond if you were running such a company?
Your thread must explain how you balance the interests at stake including:
- Creator v. Consumer in the creation and management of intellectual property
- Profit and return on investment for company owners/shareholders
- Continuing existence of the company
- Protecting intellectual property of the company
- Needs of patients, practitioners, and society
- Biblical support and guidance for your positions
- Any other legal and ethical concepts you believe may be relevant