One of the most important skills a historian develops is the ability to evaluate historical documents. This evaluation concerns asking questions of the documents that allows a historian to have insight in a particular topic or period being investigated. This week’s documents relate to the weekly module topic. This week’s documents relate to the weekly module topic of culture and cultural interaction. If you still need help prioritizing your questions of the document go to Document Interpretation Tutorial Page. Use activities below to learn how to analyze various types of sources and to become an historian yourself.
In this weekly discussion assignment you will need to:
Choose one of the documents below to read.
1. Write a 250 word initial post and present your interpretation of the document and the material you have been introduced. You can do this by following the guiding of the questions in the Document Interpretation Tutorial Page. This is due by:Thursday,11:59 pm.
2. Respond to at least 2 other classmates’ interpretations. Your response is due by: Sunday 11:59 pm.
- Would you-as a reader- consider this ballad to be political propaganda? Why or why not?
- This ballad was written approximately 15 years after the events it describes. Why would the writer wait so long?
- If his ballad is a read as a protest piece, then what exactly is it protesting?
Andrew Jackson Second Annual Message to Congress (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Begin reading at, “it gives me pleasure to announce…” and end at, “which they may suppose to be threatened.”
- What adjectives does Jackson use to describe the Native American peoples?
- How does he compare the Native American experience to other groups who emigrate from their homes?
- What are the legal arguments upon which Jackson replies?
Michel Chevalier, Society, Manners, Politics in the United States (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Pg. 185-188
- Chevalier characterizes the United States as, “Europe with its head down and its feet up.” What does he mean by this statement?
- Is Chevaliers basic attitude toward the American democratic experience negative or positive? Explain your answer
Proclamation Regarding Nullification (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Read only the first four paragraphs